This instructor training workshop is focused on helping competent practitioners and experts in various fields teach their knowledge to others. It also serves a kickstart to teaching ENCCS lessons. The two-half-day online workshop will present best practices in teaching technical topics both online and in-person and is based on past experiences from both ENCCS and well-known educational initiatives like The Carpentries and CodeRefinery. It will include a brief tour of the following topics:
- Science and philosophy of teaching
- How to teach interactive, hands-on workshops
- How to design interactive, hands-on lessons
- How ENCCS runs workshops
- How ENCCS has taken the best advantage of online teaching
This workshop is organised by ENCCS, NCC Lithuania and CASTIEL.
After attending a workshop covering this material, learners should:
- Have increased confidence in teaching interactive workshops in online and in-person settings.
- Be familiar with important pedagogical concepts and scientific findings about how people learn new skills.
- Appreciate the importance of frequent hands-on practice in building skill.
- Understand how learning can be improved by following certain best practices in interactive teaching.
- Know how to backwards-design training material based on intended learning outcomes.
- Know about important differences between online and in-person training and how inherent challenges in online training can be overcome.
- Be familiar with a technical approach to collaboratively developing open source lessons based on a template.
Registration is now closed.