The pan-European flagship supercomputer LUMI will be opened for customer use in two phases:
- In the late summer of 2021, all partitions besides the LUMI-G platform will be opened, together with the Early Access Platform for preparing applications for LUMI-G.
- At the end of 2021, LUMI-G will be integrated into the system and LUMI is in its final configuration.
The acceptance of both of these phases includes an availability testing and pilot use period. We are now looking for pilot projects.
The pilot projects sought after should have the following profiles:
- Phase 1: data-intensive computing, high-throughput computing, and high-performance data analytics (CPU-only) workloads.
- Phase 2: highly scalable GPU applications.
This call for the Swedish pilot projects is organised by The Swedish Research Council and SNIC, and it is open for Principal Investigators with experience from SNIC Large, or similar experience from other corresponding resources. Both calls open on 19 February and close on 18 March 2021 at 3 pm CET. Evaluation of the proposals is expected to be concluded no later than 9 April.
No accounting will take place during the pilot period, and the selected pilot users are allowed and expected to use the system as much as they can. The pilot projects selected are expected to begin on 12 July 2021 and 27 December 2021 for the first and second phase, respectively, and expected to continue for the full 20 days of the pilot period.
The pilot applications are assessed according to the following criteria:
- The applicant's technical capability and commitment to implement the project. Especially for the 2nd phase pilots, the candidates are expected to start actively preparing for the pilot immediately after receiving a favourable evaluation.
- Technical representativeness of the project and simulation code, i.e. impact on the purpose of the acceptance testing and future use of LUMI.
- The scientific significance, breakthrough potential, and impact of the described project.
Contact persons will be appointed for the selected projects. LUST and ENCCS can provide consultation on application porting and optimisation, especially for the 2nd phase pilot projects. Furthermore, LUMI will facilitate the selected pilot projects with common communication platforms and virtual hackathons. ENCCS will help with the preparation of pilot applications.
How to apply
Please visit SNIC's website for more information and application
To learn more about LUMI's capabilities, visit https://www.lumi-supercomputer.eu/may-we-introduce-lumi/